Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mumbai Train Blasts

I arrived safely home around 7. Thankfully I did not take the train home from Bandra, I took the 95 bus to Seven Bungalows. K. and I last got off the train at around 4pm, we were doing some research on Shivaji Park area in Dadar for a new volunteer arriving on Friday.

I am stunned. I had no idea this had happened until Karilyn called me around 9pm and I turned on the TV. There are so many former PSI co workers, yoga classmates and friends that could be on board those trains. This was hit at the start of rush hour and the western railway is usually packed at that hour.

I know there have been terrorist attacks around the world but until it hits close (this feels closer than 9/11 almost,even though it is not my native country maybe b/c I live here in this city).

There is so little to say about this, I can't say I was ever any more scared of a bomb attack in Mumbai than in Portland or anyother city I have visited with train transport. It could happen anywhere at anytime.

I am safe. But feel horrible for those whose friends and family have been injured or killed. In Mumbai, New York, London, Madrid, Oklahoma City, Iraq, Gaza Strip...... this list is endless where violence is used destroying lives. Violence in any form is not the answer. Terrorist or government supported.

"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind." Mahatma Ghandi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i heard this morning about the bombs. i am relieved to hear that you're ok. these acts are cowardly and so long as people remember that, they will never win.
xoxo
deb